Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: "Keith Jillings (G3OIT)" <g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:53:48 +0000
On 30/10/2015 19:22, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> Electrical advice via a 160 meter ham radio reflector from individuals
> scattered all over the globe? Even individuals qualified in their
> particular location. What could possibly go wrong  :>)

Exactly so!

Where I am, ALL the copper pipes in the cupboard where the water main enters the house, and via which the hot and cold water and heating pipes head into the boiler and off in their various directions, are bonded together.

It's not thin stuff - it's thick multistrand cable, clamped to each pipe with a large red and silver metal label saying "Safety Electrical Earth - Do Not Remove". That's mandatory in the UK and (I suspect) in the rest of the EU.

The incoming water main is in the regulation blue plastic pipe (blue = potable), but there is a mains earth which I think is a cluster of copper rods hammered into the ground. The house is 500 years old and the earth connection is under the cupboard floor, so I don't mess with it.
We don't get a lot of RFI noise coming in that way.

There is similar bonding between the hot and cold pipes at the bathroom sink, the bath, the kitchen sink, the utility room sink, and so on. My ohmmeter reads zero between any pair of copper pipes I can get to.

There are, of course, no power sockets in the bathroom or toilet within reach of the sink. That's been banned here for a very long time: fused transformers are supplied for shavers. Light switches are the "drop cord" type, although conventional switches are allowed if they meet the latest safety regulations or are more than some distance from the sink.

73

Keith
G3OIT