Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: "Keith Jillings (G3OIT)" <g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:59:02 +0000
On 30/10/2015 19:49, Art Snapper wrote:

At the risk of sounding redundant, be very careful when messing around with
the bonding/grounding of the electrical panel.
Over the years I have seen significant current on these circuits due to a
wiring fault at the pole or on the drop to the house.

Indeed! We used to own a cottage half way up a mountain in North Wales. The incoming "earth" wire from the pole was at something like 120 volts above ground (nominal voltage is 230). We found out when my wife was cleaning the porch floor, standing outside the front door, and got a shock through the mop.

We thought we had a separate earth to a spike in the ground (we did, but it wasn't properly connected). I poked that with an insulated screwdriver, there was a flash and a loud bang, and the house earth dropped to zero potential. The lights in a house down the road went out.

Never did hear any more about that.

Keith