Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: "Keith Jillings (G3OIT)" <g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: Dan Edward Dba East edwards <dan.n.edwards@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:55:48 +0000 (UTC)
WOW, keith!  that's plenty of 'excitement'......
thanks to all, for advice and recommendations.  my house was built in '94, but
outside the city limits, where 'code' gets a little sloppy....though still in
an HOA / CCR subdivision...there is PLENTY of man-made crud to listen to, and
I'd just like to get rid of as much as possible, at least on my property...
special thanks to K9YC for another comprehensive reference...
have we beaten this to death, Tree?
73, w5xz, dan

     On Friday, October 30, 2015 3:04 PM, Keith Jillings (G3OIT)
<g3oit.keith@jillings.org.uk> wrote:

 On 30/10/2015 19:49, Art Snapper wrote:

> At the risk of sounding redundant, be very careful when messing around with
> the bonding/grounding of the electrical panel.
> Over the years I have seen significant current on these circuits due to a
> wiring fault at the pole or on the drop to the house.

Indeed!  We used to own a cottage half way up a mountain in North
Wales.  The incoming "earth" wire from the pole was at something like
120 volts above ground (nominal voltage is 230).  We found out when my
wife was cleaning the porch floor, standing outside the front door, and
got a shock through the mop.

We thought we had a separate earth to a spike in the ground (we did, but
it wasn't properly connected).  I poked that with an insulated
screwdriver, there was a flash and a loud bang, and the house earth
dropped to zero potential.  The lights in a house down the road went out.

Never did hear any more about that.

Keith