Topband: Woodpeckers (was Why do rodents eat coax?)

To: topband@contesting.com, K4KYV@Hotmail.com
Subject: Topband: Woodpeckers (was Why do rodents eat coax?)
From: Rick <nm3g@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 12:28:06 -0500

Don, K4KYV wrote (in part):

Snip =============

I have  had that problem, except  they were eating my shack!  They pecked holes
in the wood siding and trimming.  The only way I have even been able to
discourage them is to stuff aluminium foil in the hole they already made, and
they will abandon that hole but a few days later start another one.

Don and all,

Part of the issue is territory. The woodpeckers are marking territory by "drumming". Once they've created an opening, hey, a nest!

Having a cedar clapboard sided house in the woods, I found the same problem. I'd put a piece of aluminum flashing over the hole, only to see dent marks in it the next day.

LINK ->   http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/woodpeckers.phpk <- LINK

Since woodpeckers are federally protected (those outside the United States will have to perform their own research with regard to protective status), you may wish to try the suggestions in the link above. What I found that worked was a couple of inflatable snake decoys. Sadly, the inflated snakes leaked and fell down, and really didn't impress the birds. I put the now deflated snakes to simulate a snake that had shed it's skin ... and the woodpeckers are staying away. They aren't fooled by the fake snake, but where there are snake skins, there are sneaky hidden snakes, and self-preservation instincts takes care of the rest. It's not harassment, it's intimidation!

Hope this helps.

73,

Rick
NM3G