Re: Topband: 9 EL YCCC RX Array

To: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 9 EL YCCC RX Array
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:00:27 -0800
On 12/7/2015 9:45 AM, Dennis W0JX via Topband wrote:
The 9 el is just an extension of the basic 3 elements in line building block of
the W1FV design. I think that it is great that DXCC is selling the kits to
build these arrays. Personally I think the 9 element is overkill. Only three
elements are active at any time. There is also a 5 element version and there is
no reason why you could not create a 7 element version. DXE has reduced the
spacing to 60 feet between elements which produces a 120 foot diameter. This
improves performance on 80 and 40.

I am in the process of constructing the 3 element, in line, basic array to use
as a beverage equivalent. I also have a Hi-Z 4 square which is very effective
and used as diversity receive antenna for my K3 on 160 through 30.

I suggest that the PDF manual located on the DXE website for the YCCC RX arrays
be thoroughly read to understand how the antenna works and the kits are to be
constructed.

73, Dennis W0JX

Also, compare to my 7 element array, where
all elements are active.  Although it is
shown as a transmit array, I have also built
a receive version which uses an easy to
build phasing network.  See:

http://www.n6rk.com/7_hex_array.pdf
http://www.n6rk.com/driving_the_7_hex.pdf
http://www.n6rk.com/7_hex_eznec.html

I have only built a 40 meter scale model,
so I don't have any actual experience with
160 meters.

Rick N6RK