Re: Topband: rohn insulators

To: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: rohn insulators
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 04:59:23 -0600
Those look identical to the ones I made for my 8m 4 Square Towers.
Use G10, not just any fiberglass.  The G10 rod is more like $20.00 per
foot retail, unless you do a little searching.  The one thing I would
do differently is add a washer over the machined ends of the
fiberglass insulators to put a flat against the unturned portion of
the insulator instead of the sharp edges from the ends of the tower
legs.  Those sharp edges can splinter the fiberglass.  Also if you
span the joint with flat G10 material (maybe 4 inches wide by 18
inches long by 3/8 inches thick) it will at least reduce if not
eliminate the lateral movement.

I have Fiberglas rod guying them now but for many years had four 70
foot towers unguyed with this setup at the base.

It is interesting that a lot of hams are let's say "thrifty" but when
it comes to having something made or making it themselves to save
hundreds or even thousands of dollars, many will pay whatever it takes
to buy the end product.

http://k5go.com/40-meters/

73...Stan, K5GO