Re: Topband: QRPers calling CQ in the SP ?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QRPers calling CQ in the SP ?
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:46:20 +0000
I call CQ during any contest as a QRP entry (is there, really, any other fun
category?) and have mini-runs of 5 to 10 return calls often, especially during
the 160 meter events.

I can't say, for certain, the % of Qs that have resulted from a "run attempt"
but I'm thinkin' in the order of 10 to 15%, at a minimum! The key to run
"success" is: keep moving up or down the band 'till you quit hearing signals,
move back down or up 'till you start hearing signals, ratchet down your
receiver's band width 'till comfortable with the least amount of "interference"
from the closest contester and start calling CQ....worked very well for me
during the Pre-Stew this past October - even added my first of several HI Qs
for that contest during a "run period"!!

Those suggested "QRP watering hole freqs" do nothing but undermine and
constrain, mentally, the typical QRP operator's ability to make Qs, whether in
a contest or not. I subscribe to several QRP focused reflectors and see posts,
often, where the decision to "get on the air" is hampered by the posting ham's
reluctance to stray from those "blessed frequencies"; it's difficult to chase
DX that way and equally difficult to enjoy LOTs of QSOs.

71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV