Re: Topband: ARRL 160CW Contest QRP Portable Op

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160CW Contest QRP Portable Op
From: Brian D G3VGZ <topband@planet3.freeuk.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 21:58:46 +0000
I was running low power to an inefficient antenna due to planning
restrictions. I felt a lot of stations took their time to complete QSOs with
me, to only get a multiplier of 1.5 for the qso, when IMHO they deserves the
full 3 for a QRP station.

Perhaps have categories (for 160) based on maximum antenna height multiplied
by transmitter power, being easier to work out than ERP, and effectively
giving a bonus for stations who go for more efficient small antenna.

An estimate of my antenna efficiency is about 5% but have WAC on 160 with
200w max TX power (limited by auto ATU at base of antenna). I would reckon
that is equivalent to QRP WAC wit ha 1/4 wave vertical over a salt water
ground plane.

--
Brian D
G3VGZ