Re: Topband: ARRL 160CW Contest QRP Portable Op

To: kolson@rcn.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160CW Contest QRP Portable Op
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 08:58:19 -0800
Last year - I was operating the Stew from a temporary location - and with a
bench power supply that could only provide enough power to set the K3 power
at about 3.7 watts.  My antenna was a low dipole about 15 feet off the
ground.  It was about the worst possible setup you could have and still
claim you were on the air.

I did manage to get a few answers to CQs even with that setup.  Each and
every QSO was like Gold - and I was heard as far away as New Mexico
(couldn't quite reach to Texas).

This weekend - I have much better antennas and will operate 14 hours high
power with K7RAT - but put in a few hours QRP with N6TR and see what I can
work.  It's fun giving out the 4X multiplier to those who have cleaned out
their ears for the contest.

73 Tree N6TR