Re: Topband: Commercial 160 antennas?

To: Pat N8VW <n8vw@linuxcolumbus.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Commercial 160 antennas?
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:53:46 -0600
Bill,

When I loaded my 100 ft. stick of 25G, I had broken up the guys with
insulators.  To see what effect connecting the top guys to the tower would
have, I jumpered the first insulators on all three top guys.  Looking at
the feed point impedance at the bottom of the "gamma" rod, I found that
connecting the guys had made no measurable difference.  The guys sloped
downward at slightly less than a 45° angle, and tower "law" says that
they'd have to be nearly horizontal to affect tower resonance.  So I'd say,
load the tower and don't worry about the guys.

Four or eight elevated radials ten feet above the base would be great.  But
if you've installed sub-surface ground rods and dispersion radials at the
base of the tower, it will probably do very well without them.

Another thought...my present 80 ft. stack of 25G supports an inverted-V,
and it does very well for domestic Qs.  With the apex angle I can manage,
the feed impedance is around 25 Ohms, so a 1:2 transmission line
transformer matches it very nicely.

Brad  KV5V