Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 09:49:18 -0500 (EST)
"Back when the signal report was a real part of the
exchange and contesters tended to exchange honest reports, a major contest
could be an opportunity to determine how well your station got out"

The days of "honest reports" in a contest? I am 63 years old, operated my first
contest when I was 18  and I don't remember those days. You found out how well
your station "got out" by how long you waited in the pileups and how much of
the time you could call CQ.

"...the minimal value
of contests sink to zero."

As opposed to all the valuable weather reports, in ane chatter, QRM on DX
stations, character assassination  and kvetching about "Obama" in the rest of
ham radio...

"They have become nothing more than a vehicle to keep the ham radio
economy running and the "play" part, after consumer hams have done the
plugging."

In my experience,  the average contester is more operationally and technically
savvy than the average ham, especially the average ham that complains about
them.

73, Kevin K3OX