Re: Topband: Stew Beef

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Beef
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 21:13:43 -0800
Some scattered thoughts.

This topic has been discussed before but found new life with the planned addition of a Spring Stew Perry contest. As a die hard 160m fan an additional minor contest or two have little or no effect in my opinion on rag chew operations, JT65 or RTTY operation in the band. Instead they tend to increase world wide interest in this crazy band. Let's face it times have changed. Gone are the days of cw rag chews for the most part with the Old man W1BB, Earl, K6SE or even Keith, W6DAO. Equinox operation to be honest is at my limits of noise tolerance with early Spring being better than Fall at least in North America.160m is open somewhere anytime in darkness. Bored and need an alternative, get up in the morning and SSB rag chew with the ranchers and farmers.

In my opinion there is very little difference between perhaps between 160m, 6m or 10m usage where 95% of the time the band is nothing but noise. Operating is more fun than staring at a DX reflector waiting to work a new one. Work them in a contest and you have accomplished something. We don't need band allocations as there is 200kHz to operate. That is what the "Gentleman's Band" is all about.

Bob, W7RH

--
W7RH DM35OS

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former.
Albert Einstein