Re: Topband: K5P signal strength

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K5P signal strength
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 10:20:11 -0400
I called K5P for four hours on 160 while at the same time nearby KH6AT was reporting my signal was 589 in Hawaii and even FW8JJ spotted me in the pile up. They were up to 579 most of the time and stead. Before I tear my antenna apart I hope my problem was that their RX antenna for 160 has a deep null in my direction. I even called on the exact frequency of station they just work many times only to get a CQ in my face. I have a 1/4 top loaded vertical and an Alpha 87A which should conceivably be able to do better. But for some reason they could easily work NA stations with a low dipole or a bent inverted L all across the country.

Very strange.

Herb