Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path

To: Larry Burke <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8STI 160 Meter Path
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:49:27 -0500
Larry said "propagation was interesting" and Tree said "W4ZV reported on
the topband chat page that the signal seemed to be coming in from the
North!" in regards to VP8STI last night.

At times I could hear VP8STI in the Midwest (Indianapolis Area), but just
barely, but while listening to them and watching my high definition SDR
based pan adapter I saw the band come alive (like someone turned on a
switch, but I probably missed when the switch was first turned on).  I then
dropped down in frequency (at 0530 UTC Jan 21st), and the band was very
hot, but with very deep and rapid fading.  I then worked UK0LL, UX1UA,
CX6VM, LY7M, SM4CAN, and DF1TL over a 1 hour time span (running 100 watts
into my 68 foot base loaded vertical).

CX6VM was easy copy during this entire 1 hour period of time which was kind
of curious since CX6VM is in the general direction of VP8STI from me, but I
never heard VP8STI much above my S6.2 noise level whereas CX6VM was often
peaking S8 to S9 (but with rapid and deep fade mentioned above).

I have never tried to correlate this phenomena before, but I felt it had to
be related to some kind of geomagnetic storm and I notice the Kp index
spiked early this morning (EST) which correlates well with the 0530 UTC
point mentioned above, and the Kp index was high enough to register as a
geomagnetic storm (as far as I understand it).  Kp index peaked at 6.

Just FYI from someone that really has never looked at the Kp index before
as it relates to this type of phenomena and pretty clueless what it all
means.

Don (wd8dsb)