Re: Topband: Summer in the Northern Hemisphere

To: "Don Kirk" <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, <Gary@ka1j.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Summer in the Northern Hemisphere
From: "Milt" <miltn5ia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 13:23:34 -0700
Gary,

I agree with Don on the one point of lightning AND your proximity to it.

For example, Al, K7CA operated portable CE1 for a number of our northern hemisphere winters during the middle of the South American summers. Al operated from north central Chile, on the coast in a city named Huasco.

Here is one bit of info about summers in Chile. There hardly exists any T-storm activity. I personally lived in Chile for 2 1/2 years and during that entire time I heard ONE clamp of thunder. To the point, Al did NOT have to endure local QRN from T-storms. However, Al often commented about the difficulty he had of hearing WEAK signals through the EQUATORIAL static belt, from T-storms a couple of thousand miles distant in the northern 3rd of the continent.

However, Al always placed very high up in the standing of overall single op scores. In fact Al won #1 World a couple of times in the SPDC.

My personal experience was with the VP6DX expedition to Ducie Atoll in February, 2008. I operated as a single op in the CQ WW 160 SSB contest. Even though this was in the middle of the South Pacific summer (equivalent to August in the northern hemisphere) and I had lots of QRN from the equatorial belt, I enjoyed the most fantastic result any operator could ever hope for. I not only won the #1 world plaque, but the score is the only single op score in the history of that contest to be above 1 million points. And only one other operation, a multi-op from Morocco, has ever scored higher.

Why was this possible. Obviously two things come into play, both with my VP6DX operation and Al's CE! operations. An excellent station AND LOTS of stations to contact. This fact is supported by the exact operations you mention; the recent VP8 outings to South Thule and South Georgia.

This leads me to reason #2 that so few of us can enjoy Top Band DX during the northern hemisphere summer. There is a very low quantity of southern hemisphere stations that can be heard through the northern hemisphere summertime QRN.

There are so few southern hemisphere stations operating compared to the numbers in the northern hemisphere is the primary portion of that reason, AND of those few stations a very minor percentage are equipped antenna wise for intercontinental communication under normal atmospheric and ionospheric conditions.

During recent contests, the well equipped Uruguayan station of Jorge, CX5W, was able to work MANY NA and EU stations. But, he had thousands of stations to choose from and I will say hundreds of well equipped stations who could 'cut the mustard' of getting a signal to Jorge's receiver.

Jorge was one of a small hand full on the whole continent who were active on Top Band, and he was in a relatively quiet QRN zone. The more northern SA stations around the equator, in Brazil, Ecuador and Peru had much more difficult receiving conditions because they were within the active lightning zone.

I have tried operating in the Oceania DX contest (winter there, summer here) and I usually wind up contacting a few KH6 stations and a random ZL and VK at best.

IF, an 'if' that will never happen, there were the quantity of Oceania stations operating on Top Band during the Oceania DX contest that we have operating in the northern hemisphere during the ARRL DX and CQ WW contests, you and I would be able to make a goodly number of contacts through our summer time static.

The fact remains that the discrepancy of overall quantity of, and the quantity of well equipped, Top Band stations in the southern hemisphere vs the northern hemisphere, is the prime reason northern hemisphere stations have difficulty in working southern hemisphere DX during the northern hemisphere summer.

Mis dos centavos.

de Milt, N5IA

-----Original Message----- From: Don Kirk