Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:11:41 -0800
Jim,

You are undoubtedly going to get a variety of  recommendations on a tuner.
I guess the first thing to decide is if you really want an automatic tuner. Secondly it if you are going to use balanced line or not. And last but not least power level you will be using. I have a Palstar AT5K which works very well. Rated for our legal limit then some. Easy to tune up and takes full limit easily. It is a manual tuner though. I used a Dentron MT-2000 for years and it had switchable taps on the inductor. There were places where I couldnt get a nice match, needed another tap, hihi. My preference now is the rotary inductors like the Palstars. You can dial in a great
match all the time, no switch settings to contend with.

Bob
K6UJ