Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Tuners
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:15:27 -0500
I have been successfully using the MFJ-998RT successfully on a 2 el 80M
phased wire array.  The 2 el wire beam has great performance but is very
narrow banded (about 100khz) so I decided to try this tuner mounted on the
tower at the feed point of the connection to the 2 phasing cables.  It works
successfully.  I have it set up with a switchable 12V power line to be able
to reset it from the shack in case it locks up.  What I like about this unit
is that it will NOT tune with more than 200W so if it goes into tune mode
while running high power, it simply shuts down and waits for power to be
removed and then exciter power retunes it and away you go again.  It's a
race by the millisecond to see whether my amp clicks off or the MFJ does in
that case.

I have not tried it on any other band but have been very impressed with it
at 1.5kW on 80M in a complex tuning scenario with the phased wire beam.

73

Ed  N1UR