Re: Topband: RDF in the real-world

To: <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, "'Carl Luetzelschwab'" <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RDF in the real-world
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 12:31:18 -0500
Hi Carl

Yes, the concept is assuming equal density noise spread uniform. However there
air point everybody wants to hide. Vertical polarized antennas based on phasing
elements does change directivity and does have interaction with others vertical
elements. It is hard to measure it because you cannot turn the antenna for
different directions to measure it.

The Bog is a travel wave antenna, and it is based on the difference in velocity
on the ground and on the wire, it does not interact or deteriorate with other
vertical structures like the flags. The SAL antenna is really a K9AY very
complicated but same directivity and RDF, the TX antenna does deteriorate the
pattern and you can’t see the same reduction in signal to noise ratio because
the REAL RDF is no longer the same as the CALCULATED RDF. The BoG  performance
is more predictable, like the beverages and the real RDF is close to calculated
RDF.

Like you see in the diagram when I remove the detuning skirt from my TX
antenna, with that tiny yellow jumper grounding the skirt, the radiation patter
of my excellent VWF become useless without detuning the TX antenna.

The Webnair is limited to one hours and there are interesting aspects of each
antenna that deserved more time to elaborate, maybe next time with dedicate one
hour for each type of antenna.

The  idea was to quantity what directivity can do for you in practical DXing.

Regards
JC