Re: Topband: RDF in the real-world

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RDF in the real-world
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 13:21:26 -0500 (EST)
Hi Lee,

I recently had exactly the same experience with my 160 meter W8JI
passive 8-circle array. About six weeks ago intense broadband
white noise appeared at my QTH arriving at about 325 degrees
azimuth, between the 315 and 0 degree peaks of two main lobes
of my 8-circle array.

I was able to very accurately determine the azimuth that the signal
must have been arriving from by plotting the difference in signal
strength on the EZNEC V6+ pattern of the two main lobes. This is
exactly the same method used by state of the art HF direction finding
arrays that use a huge database of the full hemisphere vs. frequency
response of their direction finding antenna to determine the azimuth
and elevation angle that a signal must have arrived at to produce the
resulting voltages in the antenna

The actual location of the source was only 2 degrees off from my
calculation, a malfunctioning licensed 10 watt Traveler Information
Service transmitter on 1700 kHz two miles from my QTH operated
by my local county government. Excellent relationships between
our local ham community and the county resulted in the transmitter
be turned off within a few hours of reporting the problem to the
responsible person.

73
Frank
W3LPL