Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 06:49:25 -0800
Gary,
Are you restricted to 50 feet high max ?

Bob
K6UJ

On 3/7/16 5:50 AM, NC3Z Gary wrote:
OK, still working on my permanent low band antenna and what I can fit
for an effective antenna. The space I have is a recently cleared forest
area. I had originally considered a full size loop but the best I could
do is 50' high, although that would be a bit higher than my temporary
dipole it is not much in the scheme of things. And I keep getting talked
out of it.

I have walked the back many times with the tape measure and lines to see
what I can fit, and what I can fit is a catenary line to support a T or
L at 50' above ground. And after reading numerous articles the consensus
was not to use radials much longer than the vertical height. I can
easily fit 32 radials @ up to 75' each.

Now I want to be able to use this antenna for 80M as well as the non-DX
portion of 160M. I can house a autotuner at the base (or make my own
network but that would require control lines). My thinking is to make
the 160M a 5/16 WL vs 1/4 to be more beneficial to 80M tuning without
loosing anything on 160M.

With the above limitations is this an effective solution?
T or L ?
Am I missing anything?

Working on a RX antenna later.