Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band antenna project questions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:04:08 -0800
On Mon,3/7/2016 12:37 PM, NC3Z Gary wrote:
My 160M dipole is actually a 160/80M fan and resonates well on both
bands,

For several years after I moved to W6 ten years ago, I had a loaded 160 dipole that was also resonant on 80M up at about 120 ft. Even at that height, its a low dipole on 160M, and 90% of the time, my 85 ft Tee vertical beat it, often by a lot. When it had to come down for repair several years ago I removed the 160M loading coils and extension wires.

I did not think I could do that with a T top. That would solve
issues.

Would a cage of vertical wires be better than if I could use 2.5 to 1.5"
aluminum masting?

Anything that would increase the height of the vertical section would improve radiation efficiency a bit, but wide spaced wires would make the tuning broader.

Luckily in our rural local club we have 2 hams that sell some neat
products, one is the Air-boss launcher

A guy in the SF Bay area developed the compressed air tennis ball launcher that I've seen at least ten years ago. It's very slick, works quite well. K2RD brought his over to my QTH soon after I moved here, and with his first shot, cleared the tallest redwood on my property by at least 10 ft. That tree is about 200 ft tall.
and the other is the Antenna Tensioner.

That looks very good for trees of moderate size, but I'd like something a bit more robust for the tall ones we have out here. :)

73, Jim K9YC