Topband: Receive loop observations

To: Top Band Contesting <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receive loop observations
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 19:04:25 +0000
I have installed a receive loop (  http://www.qsl.net/kc2tx/  ) and finished
measuring and observing...

Measurements:

VSWR --- 1.7 @ 1.830

ZO ----- 77 at 1.830

Observation:

Following ON4UN's comments regarding needing a preamp or not, measured S1 to 2
noise level with antenna connected during mid-day, S0 with dummy load connected.

During evening hours, notice some improvement - S2 drop in noise level when
switching from xmt antenna (inverted U) to the loop - but not hearing much in
the way of receive signals (e.g., hear a fairly strong signal from the west
coast on the xmt antenna, nothing on the loop and I have it oriented east/west).

I'm uncertain if a low noise amp will help my cause (thoughts??)

I do not have a common mode choke installed, yet...will one make that much
difference?

The loop is located about 60' away from the Inverted U and radials.

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Thank you, in advance, for constructive, relative to what I have now,
replies....non-"constructive" means I can't erect a BOG, Beveridge or Waller
Flag so don't ask why I didn't go that route.

71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV