Re: Topband: Half slopers ???

To: "'Ryszard Tymkiewicz'" <rtym@ippt.pan.pl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Half slopers ???
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 10:57:43 -0400
Doug:

     I have both types of antennas but on different bands.  On 80M I use a
half-sloper wire off the 64 foot tall tower tapped at the 55 foot level.  I
selected that spot on the tower because that gave me the best match on 80M.
On 160M I shunt-feed my tower, with the tower tap also at 55 feet.  I have a
large transmitting variable capacitor between the coax center conductor and
the shunt wire - actually two parallel wires (see
http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ersmar/media/Shuntwires.jpg.html?sort=6&o=33
.)

     As my two lowband antennas are on different bands I can't answer with
personal experience how one design vs the other will function on 160M alone.
However, in thinking about your question, I conclude that having a loading
coil in the 160M wire would be a source of loss that might be avoided with a
separate antenna designed for Topband.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F