Re: Topband: VOA Antennas

To: "dick.bingham" <dick.bingham@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VOA Antennas
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 14:00:55 -0500
The Sterba curtain at the old Bethany, Ohio VOA had 20 dB of gain. I saw it
up close during a ham club trip years ago.

Hams that worked there would sometimes drive out next to it at night, and
connect their mobile transceivers to it for a night of DX fun.

The RF field in front of that antenna was so intense that one could
sometimes hear the program audio emanate from tiny arcs in a low, rusty
barbed wire fence along the road in front of that huge Sterba.

That enormous antenna, fed with huge Collins and Crosley transmitters
re-defined the word "awesome". :-)

Across the road from that fence were a number of newer houses, BTW. Helps
prove that shortwave never hurt anyone, doesn't it?

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com