Re: Topband: VOA Antennas

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VOA Antennas
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 15:27:15 -0500
According to the VOA employee who was conducting the group tour, those hams
connected directly to the Sterba curtain. (My guess is that they used an
antenna tuner between the rig and the feedpoint.) They also used the many
Rhombic antennas on that site.

I forget exactly what he said about how well they did into Europe(?), but
one can imagine. Not only did they have 10,000 watts of ERP, but can you
imagined what they must have HEARD with that kind of gain in both
directions?! :-)

There's some more fun facts we learned on that fascinating tour, but I
don't have time to share them right now. Maybe later.

W8JI was also in our group. If he comes back here, he can share much more
that I can.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

Thanks for your 'reflections' about those arrays. Regarding the guys that