Topband: low band propagation at solar min

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: low band propagation at solar min
From: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 19:00:50 -0400
As others have pointed out, we have to remember that articles about another
Maunder Minimum are *predictions* based on an *assumed* better
understanding of the solar cycle process or *suggestions* on what's going
to happen based on historical data. Until whatever happens actually
happens, we should treat all this stuff with caution.

As for low band propagation being better at solar min, I grew up believing
in this axiom. But in my opinion (and in the opinion of others) the deep
and long solar minimum between Cycles 23 and 24 (2006-2010) didn't live up
to this axiom compared to the not-so-deep and not-so-long solar minimum
between Cycles 22 and 23 (1995-1997). It suggests that all solar minimums
aren't the same. Perhaps a deep and long solar minimum is not good for the
low bands (and there is a physical reason for this). Again, we'll just have
to wait and see what happens.

Carl K9LA