Re: Topband: low band propagation at solar min

To: "'Carl Luetzelschwab'" <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: low band propagation at solar min
From: "John Kaufmann" <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 19:21:43 -0400
(Note: disregard my earlier incomplete post)

Carl K9LA:  " But in my opinion (and in the opinion of others) the deep and
long solar minimum between Cycles 23 and 24 (2006-2010) didn't live up to
this axiom compared to the not-so-deep and not-so-long solar minimum between
Cycles 22 and 23 (1995-1997). It suggests that all solar minimums aren't the
same."

I will continue the comparison by saying that the solar minimum in the
mid-1980's topped that of the following two decades in terms of low band
propagation.  Top Band activity in the 1980's was nothing like it is today,
but despite that I observed many openings into Europe that sounded like a
20m opening.  Propagation to mid-eastern and central Asia occurred pretty
regularly.  I remember hearing 9M2AX on long path much louder than most of
the Europeans he was working.  JA's were almost a daily occurrence into W1
during January of 1987.

I assumed that this was normal propagation for 160 but I have never observed
anything consistently as good as it was in the 1980's.  Anyone else found
this to be true?  What was different about the solar minimum in that decade?

73, John W1FV