Re: Topband: Working Europe

To: Top Band Contesting <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Working Europe
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
"fuggedabout "decent rx antennas"????

Jim, I think the two things are both necessary. We need to encourage then to
get on, but emphasize the need for RX antennas. Without them, 160 is a hard
sell. I have a buddy that has a perfectly viable TX antenna (better than mine,
LOL) who never gets on 160 meters because when he does he never hears anything
interesting. I have so far not been able to convince him that RX antennas
aren't optional, but a necessary part of 160 meter operating. I would
have ended up the same way as my friend did before I put up my K9AY, I suspect,
but fortunately my 160 meter type friends convinced me to give it a try.
Hopefully, I will get him over one winter night and show him what even a simple
160 m RX antenna can do.

Same thing with QRP. I've heard of many new hams whose "buddies" sold them on
QRP only to drop out when the call/QSO ratio was dismal. Better to start with a
100w rig and "graduate" to QRP once they have some success and come to
understand propagation, etc. I think the s ame concept applies  on 160,
why start them out with a situation that would frustrate even veteran 160 meter
ops?

73, Kevin K3OX