Topband: aluminum "penetrating oil"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: aluminum "penetrating oil"
From: Roger Graves <ve7vv@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 13:06:17 -0700
Thanks to all who provided much helpful advice.

I have the KLM 3 inch boom sections apart now. The 20 year old Penetrox coating
had done its job of preventing aluminum corrosion, but the castor oil had
evaporated to the “gummy” stage, which made the joint too hard for two guys to
pull apart. Once I had rigged up a come-a-long to one end and a rope at the
other end, both secured to trees and each attached to the boom in two places on
opposite sides of a 4 1/2 inch bolt thru the boom bolt holes (thanks David), it
came apart quite easily, really not very much tension required. No penetrating
oil was needed.

If the Penetrox had not worked, one of the types of penetrating oil that were
suggested would no doubt have helped. Glad I did not have to try that smelly PB
blaster - the xyl has a VERY sensitive nose!

The 32 ft KLM boom and 3 element 20 mtr monoband yagi attached served as the
biggest part of the top loading for my shunt fed tower 160 mtr tx vertical. It
worked well but now is history.

73,

Roger