Re: Topband: DXE NCC-1 phasing box

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DXE NCC-1 phasing box
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:15:03 +1200
Hi guys,

I hope you will forgive me for adding to a thread that the moderator has requested be shut down, but all the traffic on this happened around 2 AM while I was in bed.

My own view is that anyone intending to make a business in the field of amateur radio needs to understand the domain and the ethos. In our case part of our 'excuse' for having our licences is that we are carrying out self training in the field of communication. Refusing to supply a schematic for a piece of kit that is intended for ham radio use, is contrary to ham spirit, in my opinion.

About a decade ago I designed my own 8-circle system. It was slightly different from the DXE version, in that only four of the elements were active at any one time. The four chosen were the ones giving a broadside-endfire configuration in the desired direction. I published my design in the national journal in NZ, and one of the guys in G-land with a website kindly put the article on his site for all to see (thanks John). In the event that anyone would have wanted to manufacture such a system for sale, I would have allowed this, but I would have insisted that they publish the schematic.

There are those who design and build their own kit, those for whom it is too complex and prefer to buy ready-made (this group is the main source of income for the equipment manufacturers), and those in the middle who will buy kit and modify it. Maybe someone in this last group will have a good idea for an improvement and advance the art by doing so. Power to their arm, and please give them the schematic to help them on their way.

I have an excellent amplifier from SPE in Italy, and I have had the same argument with SPE. Now, how many hams are going to copy the schematic and make their own SPE amp? Any other organisation wishing to copy the SPE design and reproduce it for profit, will reverse engineer it without the schematic being available. SPE needs to understand the domain in which they choose to engage in business and respect its ethos, and so does DXE.

73 from ZL

Greg ZL3IX.