Re: Topband: New Noise - 160 Meters

To: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>, "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New Noise - 160 Meters
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:30:39 +0100
Petr

That's very interesting.

I have heard that long led strips eg in the kitchen are powered from a noisy smpsu: the long cable is the antenna. A linear supply should stop that noise or small ferrite toroids (it's very low current). I have just purchased some from IKEA and will be testing them soon.

David
G3UNA

Hello,

not only the "defective" LED lamps makes the noise.

I found several LED strips (used commonly in kitchen)
and LED bulbs coming from China generates strange noise
on HF bands. I noticed it when the noise raised up from S3 to S7
on 160m while I was on key. So I immediately went to investigate
what was changed at our home and I discovered that XYL switched
ON the LED strip installed in kitchen cabinets.

The same noise source was the LED bulb in the small bed lamp in the
bedroom. After I replaced all of these Chinese crappies with standard
lamps
the noise gone. (LED strip in kitchen cabinets must be OFF when I am on
key, hi)

Hope it helps,

73 - Petr, OK1RP