Re: Topband: inv. L

To: Mike Furrey <mikefurrey@att.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: inv. L
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:45:53 -0400
This comment applies only to a counterpoise which is a good to excellent
ground radial field for 160, and resonant L's. It does not apply to L's
over FCP's or elevated radials resonant on 160.

To make a double L work over the aforementioned good to excellent 160 meter
ground radials, feed the two L wires in parallel, and leave them in
parallel. On 160 the 160L will show 20-40 ohms resistive, and the 80 L will
present a highly reactive Z, 5-10 ohms resistive and 400-800 ohms reactive.
The current will vastly prefer the 160 wire.

On 80, the 160 wire will show a feed Z which can a resistive component
anywhere from 600-3000 ohms resistive depending on frequency. The current
will flow to the 20-40 ohm resistive 80 L.

When you get away from the resonance center, the behavior will depend on
other factors because the voltages and currents will be so strange. To
examine that, a careful modeling of everything conductive around will be
needed to make enlightened SWAG.

This arrangement will not work for other high-performing non-resonant L
solutions for 160 and 80, and cannot be used in any simple configuration
(without relay switching of counterpoise and connected L wires) with FCP's
or simple 160 elevated radials.

73, Guy K2AV