Re: Topband: Plasma TV noise

Subject: Re: Topband: Plasma TV noise
From: Art Snapper <art@nk8x.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:17:27 -0500
This is a difficult problem. The neighbors might object to an anechoic
chamber around their house.

I'd guess the best solution would be to get a HWF up as high as possible,
That isn't possible here at the moment.

Neighbors to the NE and to the SE of me use plasma TVs. Also an apartment
complex is less than a half-mile away. My noise peaks fall within
1825-1830, and in a few spots on 80 meters.

I  have been attempting to phase out the noise.  Receive antennas here are
a Hi Z receive 4 square, and BOGS about 20 degrees offset from the
directions favored by the 4 square.

The BOGS are connected to an adjustable preamplifier. The preamp allows me
to match the signal (or interference) levels between the 2 antenna systems
before being fed to a phasing unit.

The phasing units I have been using include the MFJ-1026 and the Quantum
Phaser. DX engineering also makes a product.

Sometimes (but not always)  is possible to null enough of the plasma noise
to improve reception of the DX station. When that isn't working, it may be
possible to peak the DX station's signal to make the SNR better than the
plasma noise.

My guess is that when it isn't working, the azimuth of the desired signal
is very close to the  interference. Also I am not sure which plane the
interference is being nulled in.

YMMV,

Art NK8X

ᐧ