Re: Topband: "Thinking out loud"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: "Thinking out loud"
From: vk3io <vk3io@iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:12:53 +1100
Hi all. Very interesting "thinking out loud" topic.

With regards to the 403 crystal front end unit system (it seems not yet available), it will obviously be quiet expensive, even much more than the Yaesu uTune system.

With 15 or 30, 1 Khz bandwidth segments or 15 or 30, 3Khz bandwidth segments and it seems with relatively low insertion loss, I can see it's performance would be much better than the uTune units, in some circumstances.

Firstly I presume you would want two units, one for cw and one for ssb?

Secondly, being CAT controlled, I presume they will handle split frequency operation?

Thirdly, these units seem to mostly only desirable by contest operations. Probably essential when running multi-multi mode. These multi-multi contest operations are most likely big radio clubs and so would be happy to pay for such a device, regardless of the expense, as they do for their antenna farms.

When chasing a rare dx stations who are working wide splits, it would be my luck I did'nt have the 1Khz or 3Khz segment I need.

As for me, I have never experienced my FTdx3000 being overloaded by strong in-band signals at my QTH in Australia, (not even with my previous FT950) and I don't have any nearby broadcast stations, so is it reasonable to say, I would not benefit from such a device or the Yaesu uTune system?

73's, from Ron. vk3io.