Topband: Radials question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials question
From: Mike Paskeuric <mikepask1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 22:29:31 -0500
Hey Topbanders,

  I was looking to buy or make a mono type 80 meter antenna for DXing.

I was wondering couple things. If I make a full quarter wave vertical WIRE
in tree 65 feet tall and see DX Engineering verticals claim 65 foot tall
but wider bandwidth. What is their secret or just advertisement?

  Second question, I understand more radials make vertical better, but what
happens if one side half or one third the length radials due to space in
yard are shorter by 20 to 30 foot? Is it noticeable enough to buy a
vertical in middle of yard instead of wire in tree towards side of yard?
Dollars verses radial lengths.

  Third and last question, can some of the radials, quarter of them,
overlap with radials of another antenna (160M mono vertical Gladiator
antenna)? Would it affect the performance noticeable.

  I don't need long answers, just something to help out a bit.
Not sure what antenna to buy or make yet. I am in 2 and half acres and can
maybe stretch in field next to me some with no one knowing. Not many 80M
momo antennas to choose from.
  It is a late Summer or Fall project so time to think.

Mike
n0 odk
73
thanks for suggestions gang.