Topband: FT8.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FT8.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:29:08 -0400
I'm very surprised by some of the comments here. I'm still going through the messages, but wanted to make a few comments already. In no particular order:

1) How is computer to computer FT8 different from computer to computer RTTY, a very popular mode among DXers and contesters?

2) CW and SSB has not been outlawed, please continue to use it.

3) For conversation only, nothing beats an unlimited cellphone plan.

4) Are you really saying that FT8 is doing less than SSB and CW in trying to keep the hobby alive?

5) How is FT8 point and click worse than DXCluster point and click, and a voice keyer screaming you last two? And in some cases the OP is not even hearing the DX?

6) Not everybody has the real estate, antenna, linear amplifiers, expensive transceivers that you may have access to. Modest stations, 20W out and a wire for an antenna, allow more people to have fun.

7) Are you really saying that every FT8 CQ call you make is answered by an ATNO, first call, no repeats, simplex? Where is the challenge?!

8) How is 3kHz (I know, 'officially' 2, but it's already moving up into the JT65 segment) killing the hobby?

9) Please quote the FCC rule making forcing you to use FT8 or cancel you ticket?

That said, FT8 is already falling victim of its own success. In my case, the number of incomplete QSOs is increasing, due to QRM caused by 'over population' in the FT8 segment.

This is all for now. Back to the messages for more 'inspiration'.

73 de Vince, VA3VF