Re: Topband: Kostas' point

To: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Kostas' point
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 08:51:16 -0800
Good comments.

Another perspective: If we consider DXCC a "people performance measurement system", then experience demonstrates some problems with those systems:

1. Some participants will invent clever ways to gain an advantage, exploit rule loopholes, or cheat. 2. The measurement will create negative unintended consequences to the desired output.
3. Many will complain it is unfair.
4. The measures will be repeatedly changed by the "boss".
5. The "exogenous variables" will corrupt the measurement.
6. there are more...

Proof

1. remote station Qs, etc.
2. extreme bad behavior in pile ups, QRMrs.
3. this thread.
4. how the rules have changed in 50 years.
5. measurements based primarily on political entities are unstable.

I do keep count and try for more confirmations, but know Honor Roll is unachievable due to location, age, and only at it in earnest for 5 years. Closing in on 300 confirmed, but a long way to go on 160 DXCC.

Some I know on Honor Roll have commented, "I wish I had your motivation". What is personally important once there? It is an impressive accomplishment.

Grant KZ1W