Re: Topband: Adding chicken wire or mesh on top of radial field

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, <n4is@n4is.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding chicken wire or mesh on top of radial field
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:51:55 -0400
The vertical near the sea will benefit from in-phase reflection (which is additive) of the vertically polarized radiation. That is probably worth 3 to 6 dB, depending on the angle, etc. Ground losses, however, will still depend on the ground and the ground system. Those losses can be high with a poor ground and a poor ground system. If the antenna is electrically short (less than 1/4 wave), the losses will be especially high. If the sand is saturated with salt-water below, that will sure help, probably because of capacitive coupling from the radials. But nothing will beat standing the antenna in the water and using the salt-water (via a low resistance connection) as your ground. Think of it like this: if half of your backyard was covered by a copper sheet and the other half was just regular dirt, where would you put your vertical? Near or right over the copper sheet?

I actually tested the difference between beach and water (unintentionally) in the Bahamas. I set up a 62 foot tall vertical standing in about a foot of salt-water. The antenna had a aluminum-base whose four legs stuck out about 10 feet under-water in each direction. The braid of the coax was connected directly to the aluminum base. There were no radials. For three nights I was getting good reports from EU on 160. Then next morning a storm blew down the antenna. I relocated it onto the beach, to about 40 feet from the water's edge at high tide. I also added 32 radials, each between 1/8 and 1/4 wave long and about 2 feet above the sand. The next few nights I was getting comments like "your signal is way down from before". So another three nights later, I moved the antenna back into the water (with better guys this time), but, again with no radials. Reports indicated that my signal was back to "normal". Now, this is purely anecdotal, and I don have any numbers to back it. But subsequent DXpeditions bore out my belief that antennas that are standing in salt-water perform better than antennas near the salt-water. Here is another piece of info: Recently, I was testing the new 160 vertical for the KH1 DXpedition. It is a 43 foot "fat" vertical with top loading wires. I installed it standing in salt-water in the Bahamas (same metal base). I measured the feed-point impedance at 9 -120 Ohms. I installed the same antenna at my home QTH, where it is standing 4 feet from the water's edge and is connected to the sea-water via a 4 foot wide stainless steel sheet that goes about 6 foot into the water. Additionally, there are 20 radials of various lengths on the land side. The antenna measures 12 -120 Ohms. I believe that the 3 Ohms difference is all in the ground system. An important point to note: the "return" (braid of the coax) must be connected to the sea-water via a low impedance path. Otherwise, there will be a loss-making resistance in series with the "return". So the chicken wire will help, but it will help more when it is connected.
73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 19:59:57 -0700