Re: Topband: Laying ground radials

To: VK3HJ <vk3hj@wia.org.au>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Laying ground radials
From: vk2wf <vk2wf@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 03:52:24 +0200
Hi LukeI have similar circumstance. I used the sharp point of a
mattock.73Adrian VK2WF

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network
-------- Original message --------From: VK3HJ <vk3hj_luke@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: 7/6/18  1:31 am  (GMT+01:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject: Topband:
Laying ground radials
Later this year, I plan to lay down an in-ground radial field. I have
sourced a copper wire supplier and have costed approximately 2000 m of 1.2
mm bare copper at around $800.

Presently, I use an elevated counterpoise of 4 x quarterwave radials each
for 180 and 80 m.

I need to lay the wire just under the turf as I have livestock in the
paddock.

The radial field will be mostly in shallow mountain soil, with a couple of
surface granite rocks to negotiate, as well as a large gum tree on one edge
with many surface roots.

I have a tractor, but feel that this will churn up the ground too much with
the density of the work to be done. I have a ride-on mower that may be more
useful.

I will need to lay in the radials by hand around the rocks and tree roots,
but would like to do it more easily for the rest of the job!

What sort of implement can I obtain or create for this job?

73,

Luke VK3HJ