Re: Topband: WB6RSE Flag type loop question

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: WB6RSE Flag type loop question
From: Steve Lawrence via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 12:57:24 -0700
Mike -

After many experiments, what I came to understand is that a loop is a loop is a
loop. They're all variations on a theme. Ground dependent vs independent.
Elevation. Size vs capture area. Need for a pre-amp or not. Nearby structures
and antennas. The degrees of freedom are many. Some are great. Some so-so.
Others just poor performers. The feed point transformer in all cases was
critical. N4IS's horizontal Waller Flag up high is apparently very effective.

The original article by Earl, K6SE (SK), in July 2000 QST is an excellent
reference demonstrating that the 14' x 29' single loop configuration is optimal
for both 160 and 80 with a single value termination resistor. My article adds
nothing new electrically, just a more robust mechanical support design after
some spectacular failures. Quite a learning experience.

To repeat, the most critical element of the loop is the feed point transformer.
Take care when winding it and be sure to bench check it.

The full size loop works well on 160 and 80. I find very little need for a
pre-amp. Another option to consider for lower elevations is a vertical Waller
Flag. As you likely know, it's two smaller phased loops that fit in about the
same footprint. It requires attention to detail when connecting the phasing of
the loops and will require a pre-amp.

The flag is the most that I could accommodate on my small West Coast city lot.
Now at 200+ DXCC on Top Band and counting, albeit very very slowly anymore.

Good luck!

Steve WB6RSE