Re: Topband: Phased verticals..Summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased verticals..Summary
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 12:58:12 -0400
I am not sure why people responded privately on this topic.  But here is my
reply:

All methods can be used.  The "hard phase reversal" with equal lengths of
coax works (in my experience) however it makes the DC component "shorted"
and can mess up switching options.  The properly cut 180 deg additional
phase lag coax works better (especially if its low loss coax) since there is
no DC short introduced,  The "phase box" works, and is a necessity in my
opinion for anything but 180 and in phase solutions, but is not a simple
build - test project to work as designed.

My 160M phased T top verticals have simple switching for - both in phase -
both 180 out of phase - and just the rear antenna (which is not fully omni
directional because of passive interaction).  All switched with a simple
relay box I made.  That gives enough patterns to play with to find one that
works in most situations.  The 180 out of phase is "end fire" towards EU.

Ed  N1UR