Topband: Use shunt fed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Use shunt fed tower
From: <lee@k7tjr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:00:17 -0700

Chuck,
   I would disagree with you that tower shunt feeding avoids needing radials.
Any vertical antenna without some kind of counterpoise will be disadvantaged
unless it is close to 1/2 wavelength long. Even then some sort of radials are
best. A shunt fed tower does indeed need a good radial field for the best
efficiency.
Lee  K7TJR  OR

A shunt fed tower is a vertical antenna so it offers lowest take off angle.
Shunt feeding avoids need for radial field.  Any horizontal wire antenna is
going to put most of your radiated energy out at high angles, unless you can
get it at least a half wavelength of height.  A loop may be a quieter antenna
for RX but your existing inverted Vs are no doubt better for TX.
There is some art and experimentation involved in the matching but the results
will be worth the effort.  I  would start with your highest antenna for top
band, next highes for 80m. Note that your yagis will act nicely as capacitive
hats to add to effective tower hight.
Gl es 73, ab1vl chuck

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A