Re: Topband: Use shunt fed tower

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Use shunt fed tower
From: Steve Lawrence via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 15:21:43 -0700
Hi Mike - Yes no doubt that radials, any radials, would at the least not hurt.
My house is literally surrounded by concrete and brick. IE no digging to plant
radials. I did try a couple of full length radials attached at the tower and
snaked around the perimeter of the house for part of a season. I could not note
any difference so I took them up. My ground system at the shack is another 8 ft
copper rod driven into the ground and attached to the gear and the copper water
pipe system for the house.

QRO not doubt serves to help compensate for whatever poor TX efficiency I have.

The thing a quickly discovered was that I could be heard but I couldn't always
hear. That sent me on the search for a decent RX antenna for a small city lot.

But I am fast approaching an asymptote in terms of what's workable from this
QTH on Top Band.

Again my point was that in my case the no radial shunt feed works and is worth
a try. If you can lay down radials, all the better. A description of my shunt
fed appeared in Feb 2013 QST.

The original plan was to confirm 100 on Top Band and having accomplished that
from a small West Coast city lot, declare victory and not concern myself with
160 anymore. Who was I kidding?

73 - Steve WB6RSE