Re: Topband: Call for antenna ideas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Call for antenna ideas
From: Simon Ravnič via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 17:44:53 +0200
Here is the result of your feedback to my call for ideas. Thanks to everybody
who responded. Many ideas were to use a vertical type of antenna, but somehow I
was trying to avoid the radials as the grass is mowed by a local farmer and I
am not sure how that would go with all the wires. At least on 80m I was able to
find a solution using vertical loops fed at 1/4 lambda from the upper corner,
so around 23% up from the bottom corner and the use 1/4 lambda 75 Ohm feedline
to bring the impedance down to 50 Ohm.

(Please see below for initial email)

On the big tower I plan to make a 2 el 80m loop towards NA
Hanged between the two other towers will be 1 el 80m loop towards Asia.

The loops are resonating in the EU Phone band. To get them to CW I can add 5 m
stub from each apex hanging down. My question here is how to control the high
voltage relay switching this stub in and out. Can this be done with a 12V wire?
I am afraid of RF interfering with the relay and maybe switching erratically
when transmitting.

Here is the EZNEC file if you want to take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbwhnthikkcfozn/2el 80m loop NA and 1el loop AS
S53M.EZ?dl=1

Wires 1 to 7 are 2 el loop
Wires 8 to 10 are 1 el loop
Wires 11 to 13 are towers
Wires 14 to 35 are existing antennas (40m-10m beams and 160m INV V and 80m
slooping dipole).

Anyway this is my idea for 80m. A lot of interference from the towers but I am
not sure how to avoid it.

For 160m I will stay with INV-V 50m high for now and look for a solution during
the winter (

73
Simon, S53ZO