Re: Topband: Conditions and Activity

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions and Activity
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 15:04:24 +0000
I missed you last night, Roger

I did try listening on the band 2 hours before my sunset and was surprised to hear a DL1 station at S7 or S8. It was an amazing signal at 19:42 UT.  I just happened to be in the 160 shack working on some shelves for a test equipment bench.   At my sunset, I heard VK6VZ on long path with a great real 559 signal. He was in for a tad over 15 minutes, but too much EU QRM to get through. That was my first long path signal heard on 160.  I have also heard JA stations at my sunrise three days in a row. That is a normally impossible path!

I promise to be more active in hopes of working plenty of rare DX as well as talk to the many friends I am making on 160! What a great band!  In a weak moment, I even tried some FT8 but had a miserable time as the software seemed all screwed up. I could not send RR to answering stations, and it took me a few minutes to realize that the FOX/HOUND push buttons had been activated!  What a dope I am at times.  The FT-8 adventure was short lived and back on CW I found a station in Andorra for a new country! I am up to 193 now.  I will try to get on for EU sunrise in the coming days too.

I am so happy that 160 condx are getting so FB.  I hope to make the most of them. Thanks for all of your efforts.

Dave K1WHS