Re: Topband: Detuning TX ant + QSK

To: "'TopBand List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning TX ant + QSK
From: "John Kaufmann" <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:34:42 -0500
The user's manual I wrote for the YCCC low-band receiving array contains a
section on detuning antennas that are near the receiving array.  You can
download the manual at:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-yccc-switch.pdf.
  (If the URL wraps because this text gets reformatted, be sure to copy the
entire address).   See pages 46-48 of the manual.  Figure 39 on p. 47 shows a
simple circuit that I use with my K3 for simultaneously keying my amplifier
(AL-1200 with the QSK-5 option) and the vacuum relays (via a driver transistor)
on my TX verticals.  The same circuit should work with other radios and
amplifiers.  I used a simple 1N4001 back EMF diode in this circuit.  I'm not
sure whether a "faster" diode would be better but this seems to work for me.

The most important thing is to prevent hot-switching the vacuum relays by
applying RF before the contacts close fully.  On my K3, I set the QSK delay to
10 ms and I get excellent QSK operation with this setup.  The vacuum relays
have held up just fine over 5 or 6 years of operation so I don't think
hot-switching has been an issue.

73, John W1FV