Topband: tennis ball launcher for antennas

To: topband@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Topband: tennis ball launcher for antennas
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 15:04:10 -0800 (PST)
Sometime back I bought one of those cheaper launchers that shot a 1-1.5 oz.
fishing weight with fishing line attached. It was scary because if that fishing
weight hit something other that the ground or the fish line broke you never
knew where that thing was going to land.

I now have a CSV19 Pneumatic Antenna Launching System like you can see at
www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/index.html. I have used it with a lot of success
and have seen it send a tennis ball over a 105' fir tree about half again as
high. I think with the max 80# of pressure (think that is what the max is
labeled)  can get a woven fish line over a tree at least 160' tall. 100+ feet
for sure. The big thing is to have a lot of fish line on the fishing real and
don't forget to open the bail. If you start breaking lines and try splicing
them together that can be a problem catching on the reel spool. The new woven
fish lines are even smaller and I think lighter than monofilament. Can't
remember how many times I've had to search for the tennis ball because the
30-40# fishing line broke. Even have one on my third guy line up on my tower.

Wind can sometimes be a problem of course. Was really a problem with the first
launcher using that in Keizer (in town). Hitting right above the top of a tall
fir tree as a target you would be surprised just how far off one can go.

Terry

KI7M