Re: Topband: tennis ball launcher for antennas

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: tennis ball launcher for antennas
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 14:37:34 -0500
I made one somewhat like the one mentioned
below. I actually made two, the one was
with a 1" lawn sprinkler valve and the 2nd
with a much larger valve. Mine looks like
a Bazooka & this one below is folded like
a trumpet which is much more convenient.

You can see mine near the bottom on my QRZ
page.

A couple of thoughts:

The one mentioned below is surely more
convenient to carry and is more ergonomic.
I couldn't find a price but it looks like
a nice kit.

I would buy the largest one, you never
know where you might be able to help
someone who has needs taller than your QTH
allows.

I use PVC "Spuds", you can see one of mine
on that QRZ page. Mine are about a foot
long and weigh plenty, the weight helps
them fall straight through the branches on
the way down (my antennas are in a forest
so there is no open space here). Something
light like a tennis ball can bounce to &
fro on the branches on way down and be a
problem when pulling up the antenna with
egg insulator at the end.

I would use brightly colored paint, the
tennis ball is bright enough but will be
camouflaged in the summer by leaves. I
find lifting and lowering the Spud helps
me to locate it as for me, it's always far
from the launch point.

I mentioned the clothes pin to hold the
line. I stressed the spring so it has
little closing tension. I put tape on each
side of the jaw to make sure the line
doesn't get caught on the wood & it pulls
free easily with no hang-up or damage.

I use a small bike pump. With the
monofilament attached it takes exactly 17
pumps to clear the tree. If you have a
pressure gauge attached or to fit to the
schrader valve, that'll make it easy to
get the same pressure every time if you're
using different pumps.

It's a life-saver of effort.

73,

Gary