Re: Topband: Fwd: [yccc] Hi z receive antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: [yccc] Hi z receive antennas
From: "Tim Childers K9CQ" <k9cq@k9cq.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:07:06 -0600
I am not a member of the YCCC but I do have a couple of years experience with the Hi-Z. Mine is the 3 element array at 50 foot spacing. The verticals you construct yourself and are 21 foot tall. Mine are aluminum tubing from DX Engineering but I know people who have made them from long fishing poles with wire run up them. Each antenna has a preamp fixed to the base and requires no ground system, only a ground rod at each antenna. That's part of what made the system attractive to me. I live on an acre lot outside of the city and don't have access to enough property to use beverages. The K9AY system sounds like a good system but unless you have a spot that you don't mow you can't leave it up any longer than through the winter months. With the Hi-Z you can put it up and bury the 75 ohm feed so you can use it more than just when your not mowing. The three element even at 50 foot spacing (optimized for 160) still works well down to 40 meters. After that the higher in frequency you go it looses directivity. Although sometimes it has so much better SNR than my transmit antenna that I can hear better even on the higher frequencies. The other advantage to the Hi-Z is that it can be placed within 100 foot of the transmit antenna without any problems. I have a local AM station that is about 8 miles east of my location. I never had any problems on 160 until I put up the Hi-Z. Then the SNR was so good when I pointed the array east I could hear the harmonics and had to put a high pass filter in to block it on the array. BTW you get 6 directions out of the three element Hi-Z. I am not sure how many directions the 2 element would give you but If I lived where that was all I could muster, I wouldn't hesitate to put a 2 element Hi-Z up. Surrounding objects don't seem to effect it much (although I haven't tested mine in the total clear) because I have mine in a triangle surrounding a large walnut tree with a row of evergreens about 10 foot along one side. The bottom line is before I would work everything I could hear on 160 and now there are a lot that don't hear me. Time to work on the transmit antenna!

73
Tim, K9CQ
Jacksonville, IL (west central north of Saint Louis MO.)

-----Original Message----- From: Steven Jobes via Topband