Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/r

To: <ly2ij@qrz.lt>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 14:10:01 -0500
Interesting Arunas,

73,  Jim - KR9U

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of
ly2ij@qrz.lt
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 6:39 AM
To: topband@contesting.com
Cc: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259
soldering/reliability problems)

There is new connector already widely used in cellular market - 4.3-10.
Designed to get rid of Intermodulation problems  - outer contact is
torque independent.

Size is +- same as N/ UHF connector, inner pin is about 3mm in diameter,
graph shows 6 kW at 100 MHz at perfect mach.

https://literature.hubersuhner.com/Technologies/Radiofrequency/RFConnectorsE
N/?page=406

73 Arunas Ly2ij

>>.

The only issue to think about it carefully is the power rating of
N-connectors (even PTFE).
These connectors are not designed and dedicated for high power and as
the inner pin is
a bit tiny I do not recommending to use them over "legal limit"...

I tested the PTFE version of N-connectors at 4kW in the lab and there
was no problem but
it was in comfortable conditions... low humidity, well mounted, no soft
iron soldering etc.
The conditions outside the shack can be a different situation...

In general - using the N-connectors with high quality cables properly
mounted up to "KPA500"
is highly recommended. The higher power level is deserving the 7/16 DIN
usage or similar.

(all is talking about "professional" approach to our ham radio hobby)